Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Confit de Canard.....

I'm not a hoarder.....I swear! I like to think that I'm a 'keeper'. A 'protector'. Sometimes, sadly, my precious items expire. I'll get a yen for a little something and remember that I have the precious ingredient stashed somewhere in the dark corner of my pantry only to discover it is out of date. Not by a few months, or even a year.





The Duck Fat that I bought and hauled back in our shipment when we moved to the States was long gone. 5 years out of date. I couldn't even bring myself to open the can and 'just see' if it was ok. I had, in the past, called the FDA and asked them about some cans that were stashed & saved, they said a couple of years as long as the can was not rusty or dented that I could rest assured eat my long forgotten item.
Yikes....2010!






My duck legs were already prepped in the fridge. The 'cuisse' were salted and bay leaves scattered. You really can't leave them in the salty dry brine any longer than 24 hours, like you can with a big fat Turkey. I did remember that I had some Olive Oil and you can 'confit' or poach anything really. Duck Fat is preferred, and my favorite kitchen store keeps it in stock. I even had a customer who buys it for her dog. What a palette her pooch much have!

 Below my legs and thighs are bathing in an olive oil bath...gently bubbling away.


In another 3 hours they will be fork tender and ready for a blast in the broiler to crisp up the skin. Fried potatoes & a crisp green salad will accompany my duck. All I  need are the lights of the Eiffel and a stroll down the Champs!
Well, I still have a good imagination.

 I'll let  you know how the Olive Oil works out!


No comments: