Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Last Minute Lessons!


This week is packing up for college week for my son. I admit to being a bit, hmmmm, tense! Tension combined with a pending sense of loss....Couple that with excitement (for him) and fear (did I teach him everything he needs to know?)......well you get the picture! Walk on eggshells, please!

Yesterday the 'bearded baby' clomped down the stairs, cookbooks in hand. A few years back we visited the Librairie Gourmand on rue Dante and Clay picked up a nice selection of cookbooks in French! He asked me if I could teach him a few recipes before he left for college. Of course I said yes, lets make a list! I was so touched that he wanted to learn! I guess it is because I told him once that girls love a guy that can cook!!
He picked out a Fruit de Mer Crepe recipe and a lovely Poulet Stroganoff to try.

I remember my friend/mentor told a story that her daughter while in college in the states became the Crepe Diva of her dorm! Food, it is always a great reason to gather! I thought about giving Clay my 'black steel' but it really isn't seasoned perfectly yet, I thought again....good 'ol Teflon. Off to BHV so he can pack up a pan to take to college with him!

Tonight he prepared the Chicken and it was lovely! This was a simple recipe, but he learned the important lesson of Mise en Place! Once he had all the items washed, chopped and measured...he was good to go! Rice and salad to accompany! Dinner al fresco!

I'm proud of that kid! Tomorrow, Crepes!

At least Max is calm and cool! And very polite with his crossed legs!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, know what you mean - packing for Stacey this weekend, and I suppose like you, we are just trying to pare things down to a couple of suitcases and buying everthing when we get there! Oh but with a girl, there are too many purses, shoes, belts, and jewelry not to mention all 12 pairs of jeans and more clothes that we just can't live without!I know I didn't teach her everything and I was just trying to show her how to do the laundry and she really only just watched me load the washer and didn't get the stuff out of it to put in the dryer! They will survive....I think so with many many phone calls and skype to mom and dad!
Give me a call when you get here - I may be in FL with Stacey, but depending upon the dates, let me know where you are. Email me or skype me so I can give you my home and cell numbers! Best of luck to Clay - heard that he's not the only one going to RPI and talking to LeeAnn Cyb and that he skyped Karen the other day! Be in touch - would love to have a conversation with you!
Barb H.

Anonymous said...

He'll be home before you know it Melissa.

Banlieue Blog said...

Barb H.....write to my eMail, I have lost yours!! Jeans in Florida, I bet Stacey has MANY suitcases.

Barbara....sage words....I'll cling th that!

Anonymous said...

You did well not to give him the precious black steel crepe pan. I noticed in the photo it was a tefal one -- great, because everyone else in the dorm will use it. By Christmas, it will be scraped, warped and probably even have a wad of chewing gum stuck to it. Glad you didn't give him a scale either; I did, but it got quickly put away when one of the kids thought the only possible use for it would be to weigh drugs.....