Sunday, January 29, 2006

Banoffee Pie

The first time I ate Banoffee Pie was in the UK in a charming little gastro-pub this past summer. I started looking for a recipe and kept reading about dark colored toffee filling. The Pie I ate had a lovely 'blonde' toffee. How'd they do that?

I sent 'the hubby' on the task of begging for the recipe from the owner of the pub last week. She was delighted to share the recipe with him, who can turn down a pilot?

Now I know the secret to the blonde toffee. The recipe was so easy!

Digestive biscuits/graham cracker crumbs and melted butter make the crust. I always had a little trouble laying-in a crumb crust. Thick in some places and thin in others, till I saw a chef on TV using a glass (duh, why didn't I think of that?) That little trick enabled a nice deep sided crust and an even bottom. Listen, you don't want an uneven bottom!
Next, melt butter and sugar, but don't color....Then add a can of Sweetened Condensed Milk, stir for about 20 minutes until nice and thick.
Dump it into the chilled crust......And there you have it. Top with sliced bananas, add some whipped cream.
Don't forget the chocolate curls, I forgot 'em. Sorry!

6 comments:

Cindy said...

I always wonder if this pie was good. I've seen many recipes out there but never dare to try making one. Seeing yours, I'll definitely try that soon.

steph said...

Mrs Harp,
I got a headset thing the other day, and my mom and I tried it-pretty cool little website1 I think we are going to try to come to Paris March 24-26...will you be there? Hope so! I'll let you know more when we starting firming up plans though.
Steph

Daisy Mae said...

I've never heard of that pie before. I will definately be trying my hand at that one though!

Banlieue Blog said...

--cindy....it is a good pie, very simple....I'll be curious to see if you like it!!

--Steph, you let me know when you firm up plans, would love to have you and your pals out for dinner!

--Daisy Mae....try it, you'll like it!

Anonymous said...

Looks so yummy, Melissa!

Anonymous said...

best dessert ever
you need to boil a tin of concentrated milk (in an unopened tin)for a couple hours to make the best fudge ,and whipped cream ,banana and crumbled plain tea biscuit.
leave overnight in the fridge to solidify.
enjoy

Laurent