Tuesday, January 24, 2006

"Simple Food" served on a Happy Plate

When I was a little girl, I didn't eat eggs! I remember when Dad used to take us out to Frisch's Big Boy for breakfast, he'd order his usual American Breakfast; eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, toast & coffee. My sisters and I would be allowed the special privilage of ordering Hamburgers and French Fries! What a treat, we always felt like we were getting away with something ordering lunch food at Breakfast time!

So, what is up with the egg, vinegar and All-Clad? Yep, perfect poached eggs!
It was much later in life that I discovered the joy of eggs in the morning! I love a toasted English muffin smothered with ketchup (don't gag!), bacon and a fried egg on top! Only some of my family members think this is wonderful.

Today, I was feeling like I needed a little extra care for breakfast and wanted a simple poached egg on a muffin. I used to poach eggs in the little egg poacher, you know where an egg is formed into a perfect-Stepford Wife- shape and ends up to be overcooked......or I have used the microwave egg poacher, that egg turns out like rubber everytime!

I've found that the Brits do the best egg poaching in my travels, wherever we are in the UK I find a perfect poached egg. There is an art to it. Do you want to hear it?
You boil the water (yes, you can do this!!), then add a tablespoon of vinegar. When the water boils, you make a vortex and drop your egg in.
The photo is an action shot attempt, you might have to really stare into the screen for the full effect!


Served below on a Happy Plate! That is part of the morning experience, breakfast must be served on my vintage Villeroy & Boch 'Provence' plate!




Don't you feel happy too?

10 comments:

Cindy said...

When living and working in England, I made hundred of poached eggs for customers. I hated it ! Yes, some Brits want their eggs soft, others hard poached eggs... But, you're right, it's delicious.

Anonymous said...

Went to Frisch's Big Boy the other week when we dropped Stephanie at the airport in Cincinnati! What a treat - even got some free coupons for kid's meals for Christopher for Valentine's Day! Those Big Boys are great! I never knew it was just tartar sauce on a cheeseburger though! Your eggs look yummy too - I just might make some for dinner they look so appetizing! -Barb

Mona said...

I love it! Looks fabulous. I am right there with you. I never liked eggs when I was little either, along with cheese, potatoes, and mushrooms, and nuts and olives. Quite frankly, I can't think of what I did like!

shuna fish lydon said...

I have to say that even though I understand molecularly (sp?) what the vinegar does to make the white stay more intact, I much prefer the texture of the white sans vinegar.

Strangely I seem to be eating poached eggs more than a few times a week these days! There is just something so deeply satisfying about them...

Banlieue Blog said...

--Cindy, I shouldn't have left the french out with the Mollet (sp). That little egg is a work of art!

--Barb, I forgot that we have the same roots! Is Christopher a good eater?

--Mona, seems you were a picky kid who really changed!

-Shuna, do you use the same swirling technique?

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Good enough to eat write off the screen! I love poached eggs and never knew that main secret..."How to keep the good form!" Now, do you think if I make a vortex in my life, my form will be as good?

Anonymous said...

Melissa - you have to try this way of cooking eggs.
http://winosandfoodies.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/10/best_ever_egg.html#comments

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, Kettering all the way - remember St. Albert's? The Frisch's is still nearby to it! Christopher is a horrible eater though likes scrambled eggs with cheese! I like the happy plate idea so that we have a happy person after eating instead of a fight to make him eat though! - Barb

Banlieue Blog said...

--Corey......I've seen your photos, life looks very calm indeed! Glad you liked the eggs!

--Barbara...oh yes, I DO remember your post....I might be inspired to try that version...plate licking as well!

--Barb.....Bellbrook....Incarnation..
but we were still born at the same hospital, I'm just older!

Anonymous said...

you can also keep the form by bringing to water to a slight boil, drop in the egg, wait until water is full boil, remove egg. Form is perfect and egg is done to a medium poach. perfect for english muffins. janice